Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Steak!

Comments

• Steve_LeeNicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • I think we all need to take a pic of the bone pull on these pork shoulders.... dont be naughty on the comment

• You're asking a lot.

Nicholas_23DrewsBrewsSteve_Lee
  • edited July 2023

Aw damn. I didn't take a pic the day of.

I pulled the first one. The second butt, a couple friends donned gloves and double teamed it while I watche.. [Sigh] That doesn't sound too great either.

jr@macSteve_Lee
  • In Melbourne, we have Vlado's:

https://www.vlados.com.au/

No windows, and the decor consists of large photos of cows on the wall staring at you.

Main course is fillet, porterhouse or rump, with coleslaw and mustard. Dessert is strawberry pancake with or without ice cream. Entree is beef sausages or beef patties. Not much choice there!

We've been there once and the steak was superb.

Geoff

jr@mac
  • I doubt the cows agree with you . . . =)

6thplanetGeoffMillar
  • Since I learned how to cook steak here, I rarely go out for it these days. I imagine a really highend steakhouse won't fuck it up, but then again I went to the "best" steakhouse in this area and got a $50 ribeye that looked like it had been fucking boiled. Good thing the oysters rockefeller were so good.

I have a signature.
  • edited August 2023

Went to a local Grub Steak a few years ago. Got a NY strip. Seemed like the typical grocery store junk that takes a half hour of chewing each piece before you get tired and either swallow the rubbery hunk or spit it out.

I have had a really good NY strip before at a restaurant, but that was probably 20+ years ago on a roadtrip out east. Don't remember the name of the place, but I think it was more local instead of a chain.. still in Ohio on 52 before we crossed one of the bridges over to WV. One of those places with peanut shells covering the floor and a wall for the steak eating challenge photos.

Almost forgot.. More recently the wife and I were in UP Michigan near a tiny little eclectic town called Hessel. There is "Les Cheneaux Culinary School" that has a restaurant in view of the marina. It is rather pretentious, but it seems as though they treat each plate like it is their exam. You really can't go wrong with whatever you pick. My wife is extremely picky on salmon, but she said it is the best she has ever had. I had the steak (may have been fillet, but I don't remember) They slice it before plating to halt the cooking process at your requested doneness and makes for real nice plating. That means it will get cold quick, but the wait staff were on-point to get it on the table immediately (so your plates may not come at exactly the same time). All the accompanying sauces I would guarantee were made in-house since you just can't get those kind of delicate complex flavors if it has been stored very long. Definitely suggest if you find yourself up in the area. But don't be surprised if the bill creeps into triple digits on more than just a couple plates.

PWRRYDjr@macSteve_Leekenrhodes
  • Drew, Get these and never look back at store bought NY strips again --> https://meyermarket.com/products/meyer-natural-angus-usda-prime-new-york-strip

I have bought many from them in the past and plan to do so again soon - once I finish all the Polish food I just received from here --> https://www.piast.com/

Yum!

• This definitely describe me!

DrewsBrewsSilver1omoPWRRYDSteve_LeeNicholas_23jr@mac
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I'm smoking a couple racks of ribs today, St. Louis style.

jr@macColonel7
  • I'm doing spare rib racks tomorrow.

I have a signature.

• Tonight was Ahi tuna and French beans.

Steve_LeekenrhodesDrewsBrews
    I have a signature.
  • I like tuna steaks marinated in soy sauce and orange juice for 2 days then grilled over hardwood coals 2 min per side - perfect.

jr@mac

• Doing a batch of smoked, BBQ baked beans tonight. Plus ribs.

I have a signature.
  • Those trimmed and rubbed ribs look awesome!!!

• Staying home for the holiday weekend, so lots of home cooked meals.
    Last night - Nashville hot chicken fingers and homemade tater tots (kids love them)
    Tonight - Chile verde with homemade refried beans and rice
    Tomorrow - Ribeyes on the grill
    Tuesday - Baby back ribs on the smoker
    Wednesday - Admitted to the hospital in a food coma =)

Steve_Leejr@macPWRRYDTurn2
  • I didn't take pictures of the finished product, but the ribs turned out pretty good and the beans were excellent. We also had potato chips, locally grown musk melon, strawberries, and grapes. Nick stopped by and ate with us. I drank too much beer and had a great pre-labor day feast. I ate way too much, too be honest but every once in awhile a guy has just got to do that.

hifisideSteve_Lee
    I have a signature.
  • My father brought more bacon to smoke today. A Saturday of beer brewing and meat smoking! Still have the pastrami on the smoker.

jr@macPWRRYDkenrhodesjhollanderSilver1omoNicholas_23R-Carpenter
  • edited October 2023

This is the chuck he nabbed from my freezer the last time he was here to smoke the first slab of pork belly. Brined for a few weeks, then roasted some coriander and black pepper to grind today and coat it for smoking. A pastrami is born!

hifisidejr@macSteve_LeekenrhodesSilver1omoNicholas_23R-Carpentertajanes
  • Love me some DIY pastrami. I cheat and use corned beef to make it. I have a rub I use that I make from scratch. Kid loves it, usually eats most of it.

I have a signature.
  • (cue David Attenborough) "A wild brisket lies in wait for it's first wisps of smoke."

My first brisket. Going to try no wrap.

jr@macSteve_LeeNicholas_23
  • Started at 14lb before trimming. 12hr in at 200°, Internal currently 167°. I'll bump it up to 225° soon to move things along.

Nicholas_23kenrhodes
  • And......... come on man . Cant do that to us.

Steve_Lee
  • edited October 2023

I should have upped the temp first thing in the morning or just went 225deg the whole time to cook it faster. Ended up almost 16hr and that dried it out too much. Though we got full on it before we made it anywhere near the middle so it is hopefully better in there. And somehow I over seasoned it. Far too salty and spices overpowered the beef flavor. Didn't get any sliced pics, but I will try to remember to snap one when I pull it out again.

• Brisket is a bitch.

I have a signature.
  • Yeah , first time I did one , and it was just a flat wasnt so hot. I learned and kept going. After that one I went with salt and pepper , that first one I did was salty too. You got this , expensive cut of meat , I understand .

• I really need to start writing this stuff down so I can actually learn from my experiences. Too much time goes by smoking other things that I forget the details of what worked well previously. But the chuck roast I did as cheap brisket came out 10x better than this.

I did fat cap down on this which I don't think I've tried previously. It turned into a thin sinew that was not really chewable. If I try again I would probably do fat cap up unless you guys think that is bad idea?

• Up.
    Chuck will turn out better because it is a better cut. Brisket is really a pretty shitty cut.

Steve_Lee
    I have a signature.