Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Adult Refreshments

Haven't seen this discussed before unless maybe it's on that steak thread. 

On rare occasions I get to grab a cool beverage, sink back in the comfy chair, listen to some tunes and just relax those worries away with the music. 

When listening to hair band stuff, ACDC and the like, plain ole' Bush hits the spot. 

After the wife has fixed one of her juicy and flavorful steaks for supper, AmberBock and classical/jazz roll well together.

Any kind of current pop, electronica, Orbital kind of stuff requires regular Angry Orchard. 

What's on your tap and turntable?      

dynamo

Comments

• Beer wise, I am generally on Leinenkugel Original. At home, I drink mainly different whiskies. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited February 2019
    I go through all the different local craft brews - so many to choose from, I like variety. My favourites are the pale ales, unfiltered IPA, or a good nut brown. Back in my home town one of the local craft breweries also made Cherry Mead which was fantastic!

For hard stuff I like bourbon, either neat or an Old Fashioned. Basil Hayden's is my go-to, I also like Wild Turkey 101, Four Roses single barrel (though I can't seem to find it anymore up here), Booker's for special occasion, and for cheap stuff (not bourbon) the Jack Daniels Master Distillers is surprisingly good, I think No.4 is the stuff I had.

I used to drink rum back in the day, but not much anymore, too much sugar. If you like rum, I highly recommend Ron Matusalem.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • My current fav is Widow Jane 10 year, fabulous.  Other's I find worth the dollars include Basil HAyden, Templteton Rye, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, One Foot Cock, Bulleit Rye, Casamigos blanco, Doble Maestro, Avion Silver, Hendricks, Tommy Rotter, Belvedere.......fuck I love liquor..... on the rocks mostly.  

I may have been drinking since 1230.... :)
    jr@mac
  • Nicholas_23joeybuttsgreywarden
    I have a signature.
  • Full disclosure: I may have started around 1:00PM today myself.
    joeybutts
    I have a signature.
  • I usually have a selection of Grolsh, Becks, Stella Artois, Warsteiner, Zywiec and Peroni. Today I'm hitting the Peroni with some Celtic music.

• Picked up a six of cherry wheat Sam Adams.  It took months give the other 5 away.  Nobody wanted a second one.  
  • Bourbon only here.  Affordable: Eagle Rare 10 year and Evan Williams.  Weller 12 year if it's feeling special.  Club soda and lime normally.
  • After many affairs and dalliances (notably fav DogFish Head "Raison De'tre") - I have found the soulmate for me - Guinness Foreign Export - thick, heavy roasted and malted grains. Every night treat. ummmmmm..  Still looking for a reasonably priced scotch - don't care whether it's blended or single malt. Current fav scotch is Johnny Walker Black. Gotta be something better!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • JWB is a very nice pour, very, very nice. That being said, the baseline whiskey in the blend is likely Talisker - that can get you on your way.

I have voraciously consumed many releases of Scotch in the last four years and while that does not qualify me as an expert - I will argue that there is no such thing as a cheap bottle of Scotch that punches above its weight. There are cheap bourbons and cheap ryes that remind us that price tags are nearly  meaningless on American whiskey - but the availability of Scotch here in the US does not follow that rule. In Scotland, I would bet the inverse is true. 

That being said, above the ~$30 mark, you will find whiskeys you hate. 

Mostly because there are Highland, Speyside, and Islay out there. Three different animals. I prefer Islay, and if JWB is a pleasant pour for you - focus on Islay releases. 
    rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • Bourbon and Scotch. Larceny in front of the fire and Netflix.
    R-Carpenter
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Wolf said:

Uhh...

None.

How about energy drinks? I think I’ve seen you imbibe some Mountain Dew variants. That’s something I personally just can’t do. Tried Red Bull a couple times but could literally feel my heart rate race. 

My signature goes here
  • I’m a cheap wine guy (one of my favs is Mondavi bourbon barrell cab) for the most part but I also enjoy trying various craft beers. I let my friends suggest the beers. Have been introduced to some really great craft brews at various DIY events over the years. 
    My signature goes here
  • Cool thread idea!

I really enjoy trying different craft beers. Anytime we go anywhere we look for craft breweries to visit.

I typically most enjoy a good IPA, Northeast/New England/Hazy IPA, or Hefeweizen.

My personal favorite IPAs currently are probably Fantasy Factory by Karben4 and Pseudo Sue from Toppling and Goliath.

For Hazy IPAs, the best I’ve had is Juice Cloud by Lions Tail in Neenah WI. There are several others that are good, but Sam Adams has a New England IPA that is fantastic. Highly recommend.

For Hefes I usually lean toward European imports such as Weihenstephaner. 

If you love trying different beer or food I recommend visiting the twin cities, they are a paradise of food and craft breweries. 

Now im thirsty!
  • I like trying different things.  There's a somewhat local brew shop I visit a few times a year for supplies.  He has some kind of group thing going with other small brewers where he keeps some of their personal creations on tap and they his.  Usually has a small but good selection of drinks on hand.  Things that have stuck in my mind; some kind of berry mead that was delicious and something that tasted like bacon beer.  He laughed and said it was the peat used in smoking the grain that gave it that taste.  His hard cider was also good.       
  • I tend to stay away from the energy drinks. Mt Dew is bad enough, but I do like Code Red! On occasion I like the taste of the Black Cherry juice/pop that is likely a form of energy drink, and I used to also get Amp Overdrive, which is again, a cherry energy, on occasion. I do not drink those on any regular basis, but Code Red is my usual.
  • Sodas are poison, stick to beer. 
    dcibeljoeybuttsrjj45
  • I tend to prefer dark beer when I do drink.

For local stuff I like PSB's Downtown Brown.
    rjj45
  • Here is how t0nwon52 shows how its done 

• edited February 2019
    Bryan@MAC said:
    I’m a cheap wine guy (one of my favs is Mondavi bourbon barrell cab) for the most part but I also enjoy trying various craft beers. I let my friends suggest the beers. Have been introduced to some really great craft brews at various DIY events over the years. 
    Bryan@MAC said:
    I’m a cheap wine guy (one of my favs is Mondavi bourbon barrell cab) for the most part but I also enjoy trying various craft beers. I let my friends suggest the beers. Have been introduced to some really great craft brews at various DIY events over the years. 
    Buying some Boones for BK , curious how his morning , afternoon is ... next time he visits 

• Love beer I can’t see through  B)
    duanebro
  • Hefeweizen? 
  • Love my craft beer and there is no shortage here on the west coast ;) About the only beer style I don't really like are the sours - just haven't acquired a taste for them yet. I keep a bunch of high percentage beer (10-12%) in the cellar for special occasions. Quite enjoy a nice dram as well - a picture from our last scotch night =)

jr@macGowajoeybutts
  • edited February 2019
    Hefeweizen? 
    Northeast IPA

I love a good hefe though!
  • dynamo said:

Love beer I can’t see through  B)

I brew a lot of my own these days
    Silver1omodynamo
  • Do you make your own malts?
  • Looks great, now that’s a rewarding hobby!
  • joeybuttsGowaR-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • edited February 2019
    Kornbread said:
    Do you make your own malts?

I do some with extract, some all grain? And some with both. Depends on how big of a batch and how big of a beer.