Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa 2018

Comments

• I'll check if the Tippie room is still available. I know pricing was higher during the week. She had said $350 for a week day, but maybe they will give us a package deal.
  • October 19/20 is booked at that hotel, so the Tippie room won't be happening.  I've asked them to check October 12/13.
    My signature goes here
  • Tippie Room update :( 

October 12/13 are available but they want to charge us $350/day + 21% service charge.  Group rate hotel rooms would be $119/night.  I'm sorry but that's too much.  We've never had to shell out more than $250 for space at Grinnell College and sponsors rarely give us monetary donations, much less enough to cover $850 for a venue.
    My signature goes here
  • Jim and Scott live close by.... let's just crash one of their places  :o
  • PWRRYD said:
    Jim and Scott live close by.... let's just crash one of their places  :o

HA! I'd love to but my house isn't big enough. ;)

I'm still up for making some inquiries in the Des Moines area if nothing else works out.

Jim
  • Wow - that sucks! Time to look at Des Moines?
  • jholtz said:

HA! I'd love to but my house isn't big enough. ;)

I'm still up for making some inquiries in the Des Moines area if nothing else works out.

Jim
    Yes please.... thanks. Let’s explore options in Des Moines. Assume a target date of October 20th for the formal event. What would you suggest?
    My signature goes here
  • edited August 2018
    Hi Bryan,

Altoona sits on the NE side of Des Moines on I-80 for very easy access and has a lot of new hotels that may be a possibility. I'm busy today so it'll probably be 1st of next week before I can follow up. PM me where you want to be with costs.

Jim
  • S7910 said:

What's the saying, "Host it and they will come."? ;) :p B)

jhollanderS7910Bryan@MAC
  • Here's hoping. I burned up a lot of PTO this week being sick again, so I am trying to merge a business trip to Grinnell in with IowaDIY. 
    I have a signature.
  • That shirt's a few years old, ain't it? Haven't had InDIYana in May for quite a while now, and I only do that if I have to. You can't always get the weekend you want.

I can't read the year, but the last Chicago was 2014.

jr@macPWRRYD
  • Wolf said:

That shirt's a few years old, ain't it? Haven't had InDIYana in May for quite a while now, and I only do that if I have to. You can't always get the weekend you want.

I can't read the year, but the last Chicago was 2014.

That shirt was from 2014. We had the informal GTG in Chicago that year. The last official Chicago DIY was the following year in 2015 and you were there. I've got pics to prove it  ;)
    My signature goes here
  • Ah, yes- you are correct. I knew I was at the last official one (and the one in 2011), and it was 2015- I took my Nephila, and didn't have those in 2014. I stand corrected....

I did think about where that InDIYana was, and it just so happened I had to have it later that year in 2014. It was also the last year at the Hyatt Place when we had the leaky ceiling and such.

Just a bit more info though- The Hyatt's conference room caught fire on April 15, 2017, so they had to totally rebuild that area. It's kinda ironic that it was a weekend that could have been all of us there having a good time.

• Hi Bryan,

I sent you an email through MAC regarding a meeting room I found today.

Jim
  • Thanks for the work Jim!
  • It was nothing. Just a few phone calls and a very short trip to Ankeny to check it out. That's the easy part. Bryan, Jason and JR do the heavy lifting. :)

Jim
  • jholtz said:
    It was nothing. Just a few phone calls and a very short trip to Ankeny to check it out. That's the easy part. Bryan, Jason and JR do the heavy lifting. :)

Jim
    Ankeny? DMACC, motel or something else?
  • The new Premier Best Western where Chips used to be. They've only been open 3 weeks so everything is very new. I'm looking forward to hearing what Bryan was able to work out.

You'll have a short drive this year if it comes together. ;)

Jim
  • edited August 2018
    jholtz said:
    The new Premier Best Western where Chips used to be. They've only been open 3 weeks so everything is very new. I'm looking forward to hearing what Bryan was able to work out.

You'll have a short drive this year if it comes together. ;)

Jim
    I can actually walk there carrying a set of monitors its so close.
  • I have an email in to Josh at the BW Premier, Ankeny.  I'll update the thread after I speak to him.

Here are some pics that Jim took and a link to the hotel. 

https://goo.gl/bmMJFs

Thanks for doing the leg work Jim!!

My signature goes here
  • Fingers crossed!
  • Oh Jim, my wife and kids want to know if they have an indoor pool?
  • edited August 2018
    PWRRYD said:
    Oh Jim, my wife and kids want to know if they have an indoor pool?

Hi Craig,

They have a pool and a really nice patio and it is inside. I took a look at the pictures on the website.

There are 6 hotels within a 5 minute walk so there are lots of options if their price/amenities don't suit you. BTW, a new outlet mall opened in Altoona if your wife likes to shop.

Jim
  • Besides millstream in Amanna how many craft breweries are near by?  BTW nice room, and thanks for everyone's efforts.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    I have an email in to Josh at the BW Premier, Ankeny.  I'll update the thread after I speak to him.

Here are some pics that Jim took and a link to the hotel. 

Thanks for doing the leg work Jim!!

I'm glad I could help out! Kal is the manager and the one I talked to. He said they/we can rearrange the room for whatever we need. Bigger tables are available for speakers, door prizes, for sale etc. They seemed to be very accomodating! I hope it works out.

• Jim, thanks for the leg work scouting the room.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Besides millstream in Amanna how many craft breweries are near by?  BTW nice room, and thanks for everyone's efforts.

Ron

Also this http://newamericanbeer.com/ is fairly new in town. They serve no food, but you can easily stumble to pizza, tacos, BBQ or fine dining in under a block.
  • OK guys - IOWA 2018 IS A GO!!

Save the date:

OCTOBER 19/20

Best Western Premier - Ankeny, IA

We'll have the meeting room for the afternoon/evening of Friday, Oct 19 for an informal gathering and then all day on Saturday, Oct 20th for the formal event.

The BW manager is working on a group rate for a bloc of hotel rooms. I should have that info by the end of the week. 

I'll get an event website up over the next week or so and as usual, we'll ask that everyone who plans to attend please register officially thru the website.  Once I have all the info and the website up and running, there will be a group email blast as well.

Turn2Silver1omoPWRRYDS7910MartyHgreywardenjhollanderScottS
    My signature goes here
  • Excellent! =)