Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa 2018

Comments

• Meaning, we can use my for sale Marantz as our preamp.
    I have a signature.
  • I have a nearly silent pc I can bring, but will need a monitor. HDMI out to Marantz.
    I have a signature.
  • Is everyone OK with a Crown XLS2000 for the power amp? It's no big deal for me to throw throw the rack in the back seat.
  • I think it would be fine - it has single ended inputs, correct? 

Related - the guy I bought my Theta Dreadnaught from will be having a liquidation sale this coming year. He has another Dreadnaught with the five channel option. Ill talk to him, see when he will be selling. He has some other stuff, too - Oppo BD-105, a Rotel cd player, etc.  
    I have a signature.
  • Yep - RCA, XLR, & 1/4" inputs. 
  • edited August 2018
    FWIW, I have an Emotiva XDA-2 which is a pre/DAC with digital only inputs (coax & optical) that is remote controlled and sounds very nice. I also have a Hafler DH-220 amp that also sounds very good. It's only rated at 115 @8 ohms but is strong at 4 ohms. All you'd need is a digital input for the DAC. It should easily fill the room at 85 db.

Let me know if you're interested in using these.

BTW, I also have a pair of 21" stands that I can bring if needed.

I'll also be bringing to the for sale table, a Pacific Valves DAC-62 which is a professionally modified Lite Audio DAC-60 that has a tube output with revised circuitry. This is an excellent rated DAC that has reviews on the Internet.

Also a unused 4x8 sheet (Tapease) of red oak that I've never got around to using.

Jim
  • Jim is 4x8 sheet veneer?  If yes I'm interested.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Jim is 4x8 sheet veneer?  If yes I'm interested.
    Hi Craig,

Ya, it's a 4x8 sheet of 10 mil paperback.

Sorry I was more detailed in the description. The wife was trying to get me to go shopping with her. You've got 1st dibs if you're interested.

I'll be reasonable. ;)

Jim
  • I call dibs!
  • Drat - you beat me to it!!
  • I might have some tubes for you Tom.... to make up for that :)
  • I'll be boxing my Oppo BDP105d up and hauling it down for sale, if I don't sell it before then. 
    I have a signature.
  • I can bring my Samson amp again for show duty.  
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Tom_S said:
    Is everyone OK with a Crown XLS2000 for the power amp? It's no big deal for me to throw throw the rack in the back seat.
    Please bring it along. Assuming you will be there Friday and Saturday correct?

thanks!
    My signature goes here
  • ScottS said:
    I can bring my Samson amp again for show duty.  
    Yes please bring it along. Tom is also bringing a Crown. I’d like to have both there so we have a backup. Thanks!
    My signature goes here
  • Thanks for all the front end equipment offers. I think between Tom and Scott we are all set for amplification. We won’t need a preamp because there’s a very nice one built into Jason’s digital front end. 
    My signature goes here
  • edited August 2018

@jholtz, We do need stands so yes please!  Will you be there for both days?

My signature goes here
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    Tom_S said:
    Is everyone OK with a Crown XLS2000 for the power amp? It's no big deal for me to throw throw the rack in the back seat.
    Please bring it along. Assuming you will be there Friday and Saturday correct?

thanks!
    Yep, I'll be there on Friday. I have Speakon to banana jack cables made up - nothing fancy. Will we need a bare wire option?
  • Bryan@MAC said:

@jholtz, We do need stands so yes please!  Will you be there for both days?

Hi Bryan,

I'm 20 minutes away so no problem dropping them off on Friday. I'm not sure yet if I'll be there both days but the stands will be.

Jim
  • I have some 24" tall stands I can bring and will be there both days.  Just let me know.
  • I'll have the improved 31" stands from the Synergy horn for the short speakers.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • It sounds like Craig's and John's stands are better suited to the event than my short stands. Bring your stands guys! I'll leave mine at home.

Jim
  • Happy Labor Day guys!!  Registration for IOWA DIY is officially open.  Please check out the event website, click the registration tab and send us your info. Please note that you must register if you're exhibiting OR just attending. We need to have an accurate headcount well ahead of time, so registration really helps to keep things uncomplicated. Thanks!!

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2018/

My signature goes here
  • Possible complication: The Iowa State football game vs. South Dakota St. this past Saturday was cancelled due to weather. ISU officials are hinting at scheduling an opponent for their bye date, which is...October 20. Long story short, don't mess around with reservations. If that game gets scheduled, the place is booked.
  • Good to know. I'm booked already. 
    I have a signature.
  • FWIW, a rescheduled game on 10/20 appears to be a longshot, but not out of the realm of possibility.
  • Booked and registered, now to start working on these speakers.
  • me too, booked and registered... will be down on Friday evening.... luckily it's just a bit closer than Grinell....!
  • Has there been a thread started over at TT or holding off?
    ani_101