Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa 2018

Comments

• Has there been a thread started over at TT or holding off?
    I did not start one. Wasn’t planning to since it’s kind of a conflict of interest with the MAC forum. If anyone wants to paste a link to this MAC thread and to the event website over on PETT that’s fine by me. 
    My signature goes here
  • Anyone interested in splitting a hotel room?  I'm in for both nights and not bringing anyone along this year.

• Bryan@MAC said:
    Has there been a thread started over at TT or holding off?
    I did not start one. Wasn’t planning to since it’s kind of a conflict of interest with the MAC forum. If anyone wants to paste a link to this MAC thread and to the event website over on PETT that’s fine by me. 
    Done.
  • 6 weeks everyone!!!
  • edited September 2018
    Holy crap. It’s creeping up quick!  We’ve got at least 14 booked exhibits so far and the sponsor list will be filling in soon. Remember, Friday will be informal day so if you have a second entry or a peoject that needs some expert advice, please consider bringing it. Just notate it when you register. 
    My signature goes here
  • do we have venue for both days?
  • edited September 2018
    I believe so Ani.  It sounds like an informal gathering Friday evening - kind of an anything goes event and then 'The Event' in the same room the next morning.  
  • Any other breweries besides Fire Trucker we should check out?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Hi John,

There are a bunch of micro breweries in downtown Des Moines and even one in Altoona. They're everywhere! I'm a wino these days and there are several nice wine bars in the area as well. All the HyVee's have an excellent selection of wine and craft beers too.

Jim
  • Any other breweries besides Fire Trucker we should check out?

Ron

• MartyH said:
    I believe so Ani.  It sounds like an informal gathering Friday evening - kind of an anything goes event and then 'The Event' in the same room the next morning.  
    This is correct.  Sorry if it's not clear on the event website, but yeah - we'll be in the same hotel meeting room both days. Friday from 4pm till 10pm for the informal gathering and then Saturday for the formal show 8am (setup), 9am start, 5pm end and teardown till 6pm.
    Silver1omo
    My signature goes here
  • ISU just rescheduled their make-up game for December 1st.

Ron
    jr@mac

• Lets talk prices at the event itself. Open to non-audio trades. Currently interested in some nice Scotch whiskeys (my preference tends to the Islay stuff, but I have yet to come across a good Scotch from any region that I do not like). 

Just FYI, this is about 1/4 of my non-Realistic/Radio Shack collection. I am not loading any more into the Kia than this - there will be a nearly identical list present at the next DIY event I attend (likely DDIY) so if you are patient...

The KB/Axis stuff is really nice. For that matter, there really isn't a dog on this list. I picked most of it up on clearance at MCM, so use that as a guide for what to offer me. I want to pass these on, and the next round, hopefully to someone who will use them. I find myself thinking less and less about building speakers these days, so this stash just has got to go. 

Here's most of it in an aquarium (not included, will load it all into nice cardboard boxes instead):

This list is subject to expansion as I dig around. I have a LOT of drivers and other stuff. 

PM me if you want to do an early bird offer and claim on any of it. For the record, if someone wanted to buy the lot and flip it on Ebay, I won't be offended. I lack the energy to deal with that outfit these days. 

Anywhoo - despite everything I just wrote, I am always interested in certain drivers. I am a sucker for the old school Realistic/Radio Shack drivers....

See you all in just over a month!
    I have a signature.
  • Adding the following:

Qty: 2 Dayton Audio 25W plate amps. Used, but as new.

Qty: 2 Dayton Audio 8" Passive Radiators. Used, but minty - perhaps below a bit of dust.

Qty: 2 Parts Express buyout 6-1/2" subwoofers. Used, in conjunction with the above items in two different powered subwoofers. These drivers are pretty impressive all things considered. 
    I have a signature.
  • Preparations are underway.  Tritium on top, with some unnamed monitor prototypes below (Rival R176 KCB's with Seas T25CF001 tweeters).  Modified HiVi 3.1's in the background.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

• Silver1omoPWRRYDBryan@MACGowaS7910JasonP

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Sponsors lining up slowly but surely. Sadly we won’t be seeing Eminence this year due to marketing budget constraints into year-end but many of the usual Iowa sponsors are once again supporting our DIY endeavors. I’ll have the sponsor page on the event web site updated this weekend. 

Get crackin’ on your demos. Jason should have the upload link functional soon. 

Very much looking forward to seeing everyone again!!

My signature goes here
  • Favor: Anyone here going to the Meniscus get together next weekend in Grand Rapids and also attending Iowa? If so, would you be willing to transport a couple packages from Grand Rapids to Iowa? Just trying to save some shipping costs on door prize donations.  Thanks.
    My signature goes here
  • Looks like I'll be hauling a new pair down after all...

jhollanderS7910Turn2JasonPThumperTomBryan@MACScottSPWRRYD
    I have a signature.
  • Just noticed this new joint on my way home Saturday. Hopefully the Grand Opening comes before 10/16.

PWRRYD
  • edited September 2018
    jr@mac said:
    Looks like I'll be hauling a new pair down after all...

Does said new pair have a name?  How about "Par Nuevo"
    Silver1omo
    My signature goes here
  • do we know yet what equipment will be used at the Iowa event?  ie a preamp and amp, or integrated?  thx
  • tajanes said:
    do we know yet what equipment will be used at the Iowa event?  ie a preamp and amp, or integrated?  thx
    We have used various amps before, and various preamps, but this year I'll be bringing the preamp/dac combo all integrated. It is an AKM4495 dual parallel DAC and a custom built preamp. I'll have inputs to accept line-level from a 1/8" stereo mini jack and RCA, though the DAC is really nice if we can use that.

In the past we've had various amps. Last time I think Scott S. brought a powerful and clean Samson that was very nice.
    '

= Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • The Samson will be there again.  Open to other options, but it has handled 3 of these shows without issue.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • Jason and Scott,
    The reason for my q, is my speaker is set up currently to be biamped as I use a minidsp as crossover (4th order LR) and eq for the rolloff due to the open back design- and I'm debating bringing my amps (top end tube).  I am in the process of constructing a crossover (2nd order LR) and if it turns out ok I will still need to put my minidsp in between the pre and the amp (I'll bring an extra set of interconnects) so easy enough if seperates, would need loop out with an integrated which is not always an option.  If there are issue(s) with this plz let me know.
    Thanks,
    Andy

• I don't have a name yet, sadly. Out of practice lol. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited September 2018
    tajanes said:
    Jason and Scott,
    The reason for my q, is my speaker is set up currently to be biamped as I use a minidsp as crossover (4th order LR) and eq for the rolloff due to the open back design- and I'm debating bringing my amps (top end tube).  I am in the process of constructing a crossover (2nd order LR) and if it turns out ok I will still need to put my minidsp in between the pre and the amp (I'll bring an extra set of interconnects) so easy enough if seperates, would need loop out with an integrated which is not always an option.  If there are issue(s) with this plz let me know.
    Thanks,
    Andy

I’ll chime in. Considering the complexity of your project I think it would behoove you to bring your own amp rack. This way you can experiment with amp level matching at home which will ultimately expedite the setup process at the show. 

At any rate we will reserve the exhibition slot immediately following lunch for your project so you can have extra setup time. Additionally if you’re present on Friday we can do a test run at the informal listening session. 

Hope that helps. See you soon. 
    My signature goes here
  • I'll be bringing 2 Crown XLS2000 amps - the same rack that I brought to DakotaDIY. 375W/8 ohms should be enough, eh? 
  • Tom_S said:
    I'll be bringing 2 Crown XLS2000 amps - the same rack that I brought to DakotaDIY. 375W/8 ohms should be enough, eh? 
    Yes please do so. Thanks.
    My signature goes here
  • edited September 2018
    Tom_S said:
    I'll be bringing 2 Crown XLS2000 amps - the same rack that I brought to DakotaDIY. 375W/8 ohms should be enough, eh? 
    If it's not a problem to bring that rack with you, it would be much appreciated.  We already have a complete front stage but we lack a backup. Plus, if you'll be there on Friday, we'd love to rotate your amplification during the informal sessions.  "Hearing" differences amongst amplifiers has always been a hot topic.  Let's settle that once and for all.  LOL 
    Silver1omo
    My signature goes here